CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Nov 29, 2008

All Rights Reversed

Quite a big lag between posting, I must apologize.


I've been chewing on a couple of Chemical Brothers' albums recently, abit too chewy at times, a little undercooked and raw, however the taste is still very much quite endearing. 

we are the night

Pretty good album. However I still haven't given the entire thing a thorough listening, there's a few tracks that have jangled my brain cells so far.

1.) All Rights Reversed - This song features The Klaxons, and it shows - abit too well. The whole song sounds more like a Chemical Brothers' remix of an extension to 'Two Receivers'. Kickass drum beat resonating throughout, very Klaxon, beautifully harmonised, almost mournful vocal work. Epic. It would do very well in a movie trailer I think. 
edit: check out that insane effect they used, when the guy sings the word "primal".

2.) Das Spiegel - I think it's German for "The Darkness", for a very ominous sounding track title, the song itself is very happy. It's a beautiful song indeed, it has an 'innocence' laden vibe to the song; the very same vibe one can probably feel when listening to MGMT's 'Kids'. Famous ChemBro's psychadelic warped little glitches, twirps and tweaks are bombarded alongside the main riff. Personal favourite bit from the song, is when there's a short break, and there's only a very soft, palm-muted guitar plucking, with a slow and deliberate buildup. One for the treadmill I reckon, only during the warm-down though.

3.) Battle Scars - Vocals on this track are provided by a US folkie called Willy Mason. A very unique song. I don't think my words can really describe it well. So have a listen and decide for yourself! Best way I can put it, is a half-rap, half-story.

4.) The Pills Won't Help You Now - Brilliant way to end the album. Warm, soft and mellow vibes flow throughout the 6-minute track. Invokes a certain tenderness within you. I think the song title is perfect, imagine waking up on a Sunday late afternoon [after being awake till 7 in the morning], when the last of the sun is still caught in your windowsill, your jaw hurts from all the teeth gnashing, your head feels like Chernobyl, and the tune starts floating up from the radio. Someone gimme a camera, I got a film to shoot!


P.S. Here's a bonus video; I originally found the song in a friend's b-side collection, and it actually sounded pretty good. I reckon it definitely has a ChemBrother feel about it ;)

Regards,
Prayon Kid

0 shoutouts: